- quotations in italics, without quotation marks
- omissions in quotations should be marked with […], in normal font (not italics)
- comments on quotations in parenthesis and with notation (, author’s comment), in normal font
- abbreviations should be mentioned in the full version with square brackets U[nited] S[tates] [of] A[merica]
- absurd passage could be marked with [sic!]; it applies also to spelling or stylistic mistakes
- titles of periodicals (newspapers, journals etc.) and works of art (books, films etc.) in italics
- code names of undercover agents with quotations marks “Bureš”
Quotations and remarks
- sources should be mentioned in footnotes as following:
- SURNAME, Name: Title in italics. Subtitle(s) in normal font. Publisher, place year, page (p. XX)
ABRAMS, Bradley F.: The Struggle for the Soul of the Nation. Czech Culture and the Rise of Communism. Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham 2004, p. 24–25.
- next references in short form
SURNAME, Name: First three articles, page (p.XX)
ABRAMS, Bradley F.: The Struggle for…, p. 25.
- immediately following reference
ibidem, p. XX
- immediately repeated reference (same page)
- co-authors are separated with a spaced hyphen
JUDT, Tony – SNYDER, Tymothy: Thinking the Twentieth Century. William Heinemann, London 2012, p. 127.
Collective Monographs and Anthologies
- SURNAME, Name: Title of the Article. In: SURNAME, Name (Ed. or Eds.): Title of the Collective Monograph in italics. Subtitle(s) in normal font. Publisher, place year, page (p. XX)
EDELE, Mark – GEYER, Michael: States of Exception. The Nazi-Soviet War as a System of Violence. In: GEYER, Michael – FITZPATRICK, Sheila (Eds.): Beyond Totalitarianism. Stalinism and Nazism Compared. Cambridge University Press, New York 2009, p. 345–395.
- Scientific Journals, Magazines etc.
SURNAME, Name: Title of the Article. Title of the Journal in italics, Year, (Volume), Number/Issue, page (p. XX)
VARGA, Zsuzsanna: Agricultural Economics and the Agrarian Lobby in Hungary under State Socialism. East Central Europe, 2017, Volume 44, Issue 2-3, p. 284–308.
- Daily Newspaper
SURNAME, Name: Title of the Article. Title of the Newspaper in italics, date, page (p. XX).
BELAM, Martin: Black or blue? Confusion grows over traditional British passport colour. The Guardian, January 3, 2018, p. 4.
- initials or signs are indicated at the end in brackets
Stasi files. Scanner struggles to stitch together surveillance state scraps (¤POT). The Guardian, January 3, 2018, p. 7.
- Name of the Archive, Repository etc. in italics (Abbreviation), Collection, Inventory Number or Mark or Signature, Name or Description of the Source, Date, page.
The Library of Congress (LBC), The Hannah Arendt Papers at the Library of Congress, Correspondence File, 1938-1976, n. d., General, 1938-1976, n. d., Letter to Walter Benjamin, n. d., p. 7–11.
- Foreign Archives – please note the original, a proper English translation in brackets in italics, and abbreviation in brackets in normal font; for next references use the abbreviations only
Archiv bezpečnostních složek (Archive of law-enforcement agencies, Czech Republic) (ABS), Fund (f.) Zvláštní vyšetřovací (Special Investigation), archive number (a. n.) ZV–45 MV, Odůvodnění k odvolání do rozsudku Vyššího vojenského soudu (Justification for the appeal to the sentence of the High Military Court), January 1, 1954, record number (r. n.) Pt 73/53.
Electronic and Web sources
- electronic books:
KURLAND, Philip B. – LERNER, Ralph (Eds.): The Founders’ Constitution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago 1987, online http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/.
- online articles:
SMITH, David: Trump Tower meeting with Russians ‘treasonous’, Bannon says in explosive book. The Guardian, January 3, 2018, online https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/03/donald-trump-russia-steve-bannon-michael-wolff.
- other web content:
Socialismrealised.eu, Looking for a traitor, online https://www.socialismrealised.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ST_traitor.pdf (January 3, 2018).
ANY ARCHIVE FUND HAS ITS NAME, ASK. NUMBER THAT IS TO BE IDENTIFIED IN THE FOOTNOTE !!!
THE NAME OF THE FUND MUST BE INCLUDED, BEGINNING WITH THE LARGE INITIAL LETTER !!!
IMPORTANT: THE MEANING OF FOOTNOTES IS NOT TO WRITE ANOTHER ARTICLE IN THE ARTICLE !!!
MAJOR TEXTS, QUOTES AND EXPLANATIONS CAN BE PLACED IN A SPECIAL, GRAPHICALLY DIFFERENT BOX.
The author has to submit only a single version of his / hers article in doc, docx or rtf format.
If there is image material available, the author should and can indicate the ideal location of the photos in the text. He / she should enclose labels, explanations and quotation of sources of the photos in a separate text file.
IMAGE MATERIAL scan ideally at 600dpi with a minimum of 500kB for small photos, and 1MB for large one-page photos.